We are rolling out some new features, including improvements to the user
interface and a better multi-editing system. WISP will be back shortly!
22 Oct. 2014
The Wisconsin Irrigation Scheduling Program (WISP), is an irrigation water management tool developed by the Departments of Soil Science and Biological Systems Engineering at the Wisconsin-Madison. WISP is designed to help growers optimize crop water use efficiency by tracking the root zone water inputs and outputs (water balance).
Using WISP's water balance predictions, along with root zone soil moisture monitoring, a grower can plan irrigation timing and amount to take maximum advantage of natural rainfall while minimizing over-application of water resulting in leaching.
WISP accommodates multiple Farms, Pivots, Fields and Crops with a hierarchy:
- -- A farm can be any set of pivots the user chooses (e.g. common ownership, location or management).
- -- A pivot can have one or more fields growing different crops.
- -- A field is typically defined by a set of common physical or management characteristics (e.g., crop type, soil water holding capacity or irrigation management) assigned to a land area. Field characteristics can change from year to year and have multiple crops per year.
- -- For each succeeding crop on a field, you specify an emergence date, starting soil moisture, depth of the managed root zone, and AD fraction.
To simplify entering daily data which is the same for multiple fields, weather stations are provided. A weather station is associated with a pivot; daily data entered for the weather station (e.g., rainfall or irrigation) are automatically propagated to all the fields under that pivot.
Secure access to your WISP data is provided using a service called OpenID (OID). Google is the OID provider currently used by WISP, so you will need a Google account. When you start WISP you are directed to a login page where you enter your email address and password. That's all there is to it!
- -- Create a Google account if you don't already have one.
- -- Back on this WISP site, the Farm Status link in the navigation bar on the left side of the screen. Your login credentials will be requested, and you will be asked to approve their use for this site.
- -- Upon successful login, you will see the WISP farm screen
- -- When you first use WISP, a default farm, pivot, field, and crop are created for you, along with weather/irrigation records for the season. You can add more farms on the "Farm Status" page; pivots, the fields they serve, and crops in the field are managed from the "Pivots, Fields, and Crops" page.
- -- Click on the "Pivots" link in the navigation bar, and use the "Add Pivots" button to add pivots for the farm.
- -- All field information is required except "Notes".
- -- If you have multiple fields under a pivot for which you would like to combine data entry, create a weather station and use "Multi-Edit Daily Data" to enter data for it.
The User Guide provides additional model input and application guidance.
- Version: 1.1.0
- Build Number: 377